August 22, 2011

717. Like Womprats in a Cage - Raezyr

Tyr stood before the two seated Jedi Masters in the Enclave Council Chamber.

He cleared his throat before starting the small speech he'd been rehearsing and amending over the past several days.  "Grandfather, Master Taisun, I've come to terms with the fact that I have spent a large portion of my life dedicated to a hatred built under false pretenses.  Much of what I've known in my life is a downright lie told to me by others or myself.  Other things that have shaped me I've simply misremembered or misunderstood."

Tyr made eye contact with his grandfather, who smiled at him despite the decorum.  He gave a brief smile and nod in return.  "As an adult, I have made poor choices and done horrible things.  I've also aligned myself with Sith, and received and been receptive to poisonous teachings.  I know now that I've made these decisions based on lies, purposeful and not.  That does not excuse my actions and decisions, nor does it escape me from the consequences I deserve from them.  I am fully deserving of any and all consequences because while misled, I was of sound and able mind."

This earned him a nod from the more feline master, Master Taisun.  Again, he nodded in return.  "I hope that I am able to make penance for my deeds with further good deeds, particularly on Coruscant.  I will accept any other punishments that the Council and Republic deem me worthy though."

It looked as though Tanner was about to interrupt him, but Tyr had to finish.  "However."  He cleared his throat again.  "I cannot give up the location of my two associates who are still at large.  They have been my only friends in the past two years, and would not betray me under any circumstances.  They are also guilty of horrible deeds, and I am aware of this.  They are still my friends though, and loyalty is something that most Sith are not noted for, they are capable of it and the Jedi admire it in each other.  I know that this is not a situation where the council will admire my decision, but I hope they can understand where it comes from and what it means to me.  If I knew the location of the Sith master known as Eiron who was behind the Coruscant attack, I would likely give that up in their stead, but none of us have the means of reaching him.  I apologize."

Taisun and Tanner stood silently for a moment. Finally Taisun spoke. "If given the opportunity, would you dedicate yourself to the Jedi Code, and submit yourself to Jedi training, even if it means becoming a Padawan to someone who may be younger than yourself?"

"I would."

"Then in instances like this, the Republic allows the Jedi Order to take in former Sith, but only if the offender is truly remorseful about their past and earnest in their willingness to change and make amends," Taisun informed him.


Tyr bowed to the pair of Jedi Masters, and a smile grew from ear to ear that he couldn't contain.  Weeks ago, he'd have never seen himself here in this spot.  What was more surprising though was how great he felt about the new direction his life seemed to be taking.  It was not so much as though a load had been lifted from his shoulders as much as it was that he was given a whole new body with which to have a second chance.  He felt utterly refreshed.

"I'd like to share something with you before your decision is final."  Master Solumni offered.  "I do not know if this will sway your view or not, but you deserve to hear this story of two brothers."

"Like a parable?"

"Not exactly."  Tanner crossed his arms and closed his eyes.  "Years ago, there were two brothers, born to a Jedi Father."

Tyr looked confused.  "Raezyr and Trychon?"

"No."  Tanner frowned.  "Please let me finish.  One of these brothers was very gifted in the Force, and was trained to become a Jedi.  The other was not, and he led a very bitter life regardless of the things that those close to him would do to try to make him happy.  He lived on the wrong side of the law often, he drank too much, and he slept with many women jumping from one shallow relationship to another shallow relationship, in between one night stands."

Tyr sat down on the floor and crossed his legs.  He had no idea where his grandfather was going with this story.

"As time went on, the wayward brother became a father, unwittingly.  He began to come around and tried to become a good father, but he refused to allow the Jedi to meet his son because of his own misguided principals.  Fast forward a few years, and now he has two sons from different relationships and his brother has one.  Either out of spite of the news that his brother's son will someday join the Jedi, or out of pure greed, he decides to sell his sons to the Sith."

Even new to the ways of the Jedi, Tyr was disgusted by this, but still unsure of how the story was related to him, so he kept his opinions private.

The Jedi master continued.  "One of his sons was gone before we got word.  When we sent a pair of recruiters to contact him about his sons, worried about their fate, he had already made a deal with the Sith for the younger child.  His brother and a Master intervened in the second son being sent off to the Sith, but the Master was grief stricken and decided not to hand over the child to the order either, and she took him off on his own."

Tyr started to think he knew what the connection was.  "You believe this child was Raezyr."

His grandfather nodded.  "We sent a team after the Sith who had gotten ahold of the older child.  We never heard back from that team again, but our spies among the Sith said that the group we had gone after also disappeared.  No news was ever found about the boy, but he was presumed dead along with the others."

"Trychon?  How can you be so sure of either?"

Solumni swallowed.  "We have some footage of your friend Raezyr on Nal Hutta, when he was careless with his helmet.  The scar over his eye matches the description of the one received by the child at a later attempt to retrieve him from the ersatz master.  That also matches what you told us about him being raised by a rogue Jedi, doesn't it?"

"Yes, it does."  Tyr had to admit.  It was unsettling having these 'revelations' so often.  "What about Trych?"  He asked, noting to himself that he used the informal nickname for the first time in his discussions with the Jedi.  He'd avoided using the familiar terms up to this point.

"He is a little less shy, and we have several good holos of his appearance, including a few where he stared directly into the camera.  He looks exactly like his father.  Too much to be a coincidence.  In fact, we don't really believe in coincidences.  Your fate was intertwined with theirs from birth."

That caught Tyr off guard.  "Huh?"

"Tyr... the lost son here... the criminal, boozer, womanizer who sold his children to the Sith, only to lose them both to the galaxy... he was your uncle.  Your father's brother."  He sighed.  "My son."

"I..." Tyr didn't know what to say.  "I don't know what to say.  I have to meditate on this." 

Master Taison put his hand on Solumni's shoulder.  "Of course.  We're done here, and you're free to go."

Tyr turned to leave but turned around at the door.  "I'm not sure this will change my opinion.  They are still my friends... my cousins.  I don't know that I can betray their trust."

"It is of little consequence."  Taison responded.  Seeing the continued confusion and exasperation on Tyr's face, he told him what they had been undecided on revealing.  "Last night, Anya escaped in your ship.  We expected this and are tracking her.  We believe she will lead us to the Sith base."

No comments:

Post a Comment