December 16, 2011

754. A Sith by any Other Name - Raezyr


Eli Dipsatch had been right. No one would fight him, no matter the odds. One man had died in the ring. A second had died after the fight from the crushing blow he had taken to the sternum, and the third man had slammed so hard into the unbreakable glass that his spine had snapped, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. No one wanted a piece of a man who could do that.

A funny thing had happened though, and Eli had actually come clean about his part: Jahn Dhoe was supposed to have lost that last fight almost 8 weeks ago.

Despite going up against 3 men, Jahn had been favored in the odds. The movers and shakers in Vondume's underground world of pitfighting had all been betting against Jahn, for only they knew his opponents would have weapons.

Even Eli had bet against Jahn. Except the runner who had placed the bet had screwed up. He had accidentally bet on Jahn.

When the fight was over, Eli Dipsatch not only came out the big winner, but half the criminal scum on Vondume owed him vast sums of money, leaving Dipsatch one of the most powerful men on the planet. He had been so exstatic about it he had made the former Mudder his personal bodyguard.

The job didn't pay nearly as well as the pitfighting had, but it was still better than being a Mudder. The only problem was that for the first time, Jahn was able to see the full underbelly of the planet, and he found out that despite the back breaking work, the mudders were the fortunate ones.

Initially he had assumed that debtors were treated like prisoners here on Vondume. He was wrong. Debtors were nothing but slaves and slave labor. Men like Dipsatch traded debtors like currency, then kept them in hovels doing menial tasks and back-breaking jobs while providing just enough food and shelter to keep the debtors alive.

The entire subject happened to be the topic of conversation between Jael and himself. "I don't see how you can stand there and watch Dipsatch treat these people this way, Jahn," she told him. They had just finished supper in his quarters.

The apartment was provided to him by Dipsatch, and since his employer wanted him close at all times, it was right downt he hall from the penthouse suite in one of the upscale apartment buildings in the city center. It was posh and it had a great view.

Jahn walked out onto the specious balcony. He needed some air. "I don't know what you want me to do, Jael. I don't like Dipsatch either, but there's nothing I can do about it right now."

The beautiful dark-skinned woman had followed the big man outside. She stepped up and put her hands on his chest, shaking her head. "That's not true, Jahn. You can use your powers to stop him. You have them for a reason. I refuse to believe that you have this amazing gift and can only use it to protect a man like Dipsatch."

"Jael, I love you, but these people... they did this to themselves... it's their own fault they're debtors and I don't see why I should care," Jahn said, turning away from Jael and refusing to meet her eyes.

"If you don't care, then maybe you're not the man I thought you were."

They stood silently for a long time. Jahn thought he was preparing himself for her decision to leave him, but what she said next caught him by surprise.

"Jahn... They fired me from the Hospital."

It was such a nonsequitor that it took a moment to comprehend. "Why would they do that?"

"Because of you... because of the company you keep," she said. "They told me they don't want employees hanging around unsavory people like your boss. They wanted me to stop seeing you. I told them to walk on."

"And they let you go?" Jahn asked. "No problem. You'll get another job soon."

"You don't understand... all my educational loans came due the instant I was unemployed," she told him.


------------------



Jahn Dhoe flung open the doors and marched into Eli Dipsatch's office, Jael Thracen two steps behind. "I need a favor, boss."

Dipsatch leaned back in his oversized nerf-hide chair and stuck a cigarra in his mouth, it's acrid smoke rising and encircling his head, making him look almost comical. "Oh, I know what you're going to say, Jahn."

Jahn cocked his head slightly. "You do?"

"Oh yes, and I'm way ahead of you," the pudgy man got up and walked around the big wooden desk. He stopped in front of Jael and eyed her up and down.

Neither Jahn nor Jael liked the famished look in his eye, and she slid her hand in his as if it could hide her from his leering.

"Yes, you're little girlfriend became a debtor today. Oh, don't look surprised. I keep my eye on the lists for interesting names," he explained. Dipsatch then looked up at the big bodyguard. "Don't think I haven't noticed your disapproving looks as of late.

Dipsatch stepped toward Jael and ran his fingers down her bare arm. She cringed at the touch. "Yes, I already saved her from the Mudders for you."

"I guess... uh... thanks?" Jahn said.

Don't thank me yet, Jahn," Dipsatch said. "She doesn't get a free pass. Not yet, anyway. For now, she's going to be my little insurance policy to ensure you stay loyal to me."

"No," Jahn said so quietly only he could hear it. Realization was beginning to dawn on him. His jaw clenched and he began slowly shaking his head, revulsion and rage beginning to take over.

"She's going to be working at the Teegar House," Dipsatch explained further. There was no mistaking the look on his face as he stared at Jael.

"No!" Jahn shouted through clenched teeth. He could feel the anger burning inside him like a fire.

Dipsatch went on in a conspiratorial whisper, seemingly oblivious to Jahn's state. "I always check out the new girls to make sure they're up to standards."

"NOOOOOOOOO!" Jahn shot his hand forward, and bluish purple bolts of electricity shot from his hands, surging through the pudgey man. Dipsatch was blown backwards across the desk and into the wall as Jahn walked toward him, continuing to scream in rage, all the while pouring more energy and rage into the writhing, charring bulk of flesh.

When he finally stopped, little remained of former boss beyond a smoking, stinking pile of burned organic matter.

Jahn turned around to see Jael staring at him with a mix of awe, horror and admiration.

"You wanted me to do something about the debtors? Well, this is the start," he said, his jaw set in determination. "Will you stick by me through the end of this?"

"I will," she said, running to him and wrapping her arms around him. She looked up into his eyes. "I love you, Jahn Dhoe."

"Then will you marry me?"

"I will."

No comments:

Post a Comment