May 30, 2012

779. Behind You - Raezyr



Sorah Kavel stepped out of the refresher in Marla's apartment, wrapped a towel around her body and walked out to the living area. She sat down on couch, tucking one leg underneath her and with a second towel began drying her short-cropped black hair. She surveyed her friend's living quarters, then looked over to the kitchen area where the dark-skinned security agent was cooking a quick supper for the two of them in the middle of the night. "This really is a nice place. They must pay you pretty well."

The two women had dropped off their gear at Marla Greywicke's  security firm after they had made a hasty get away. They didn't really expect any repercussions from their deed earlier in the night as Marla had uploaded a bug into the security systems at the Black Dagger's base which had erased the databanks memory then overloaded the system.

To top that, by the time they had arrived back at the apartment, Marla's contacts in the law enforcement had reported that the two of Black Daggar's rivals had already moved in on their territory. They estimated it would be many years before the gang recovered from this night, if they ever did.

Marla looked over at her friend on the couch while she portioned the food out onto plates. "They do pay well." She hesitated for a few minutes before continuing. "I can get you in, if you want." She carried the plates out to the couch, handed one to Sorah then sat down next to her on the couch.

Sorah took the plate then leaned back. They both ate in silence for a while. Finally Sorah broke the uncomfortable silence. "I don't know if that's a good idea. We went separate ways for a reason."

Marla set her plate aside. "No. I can't do that again. You have no idea how the last couple years have killed me inside, knowing that you were a message away, yet being unable to reach out to you." She reached over and took Sorah by the arms and looked into her arms. "Sorah, I love you. Not just that, but I'm in love with you. I have been since the day you walked in and asked me to join you on..."

Sorah interrupted. "Don't you think I know that? Do you think I haven't felt it too? I'm not blind, Marla."

"Then what's been keeping us apart for all these years?"

"I think you know that it's a 'who,' not a 'what,'" Sorah answered. "You know I'm still in love with Karla's father. What if he were to come back into the picture?"

"I think we both know that if he hasn't bothered to come find you by now, he never will," Marla replied. "But I'm here. I need you. I love you."

"I know," Sorah said.

Marla leaned over and kissed Sorah. The other woman tensed for a moment, then let herself melt into her long-time friend. They clung passionately together, their plates of food forgotten.

-------------------------------

Sorah looked all around the playground at the park the next day. It was a large park and there were many kids of all races running about and enjoying themselves, but Sorah was only looking for one.

She had agreed to meet her cousin Mika here and surprise Karla.

Surprisingly, the toddler spotted her mother first. "Momma!" she shouted and came running.

Sorah scooped the little girl up in her arms and hugged her tightly. "Oh, is Momma so glad to see you, Sweetie! I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too, Momma! Mika said you were taking care of some bis niss," she said in the manner that a two year old would.

"Yes, baby. I took care of business. Everything is going to be okay. From now on, we only need to look straight ahead."


Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment