March 25, 2010

582. Sith Hunt: Part Two - Raezyr


"Ataraxiav'a'lajean?" Captain Wash Moklam of the Republic Hammerhead questioned. "That's quite a mouthful. Is there something less... lengthy... we can call you?"

"Val is sufficient. I rarely use my full name for anything other than official business or formal occasions. If I had grown up on Chiss, I might have more use for it, but I didn't, and I don't," Val explained rather matter of factly.

"Please be seated," Moklam invited after shaking hands with the newly arrived Jedi, and sat down behind the desk in his ready room just off the ship's bridge, and the two Jedi followed suit.

"Now, you asked to be brought up to speed, but there really isn't much to tell that I'm sure you haven't read in previous reports... except for the virus," Moklam said.

"Although our civilian programmer has been able to tell us a little about it, I'm not sure how much to rely on his information. He insists that our computer systems weren't sliced, but that someone who has access to the ship uploaded the program directly.

"If it's true, then that means the Sith we are chasing allowed themselves to be caught and they uploaded the program sometime during their escape. Our security is too tight for it to have happened at any other time," Moklam explained. "Personally, I think he's full of poodoo.

"The problem is that pretty soon, the Unity will have to break off it's hunt for the Sith for a few weeks, and you Jedi will have to be on your own until we return," Moklam said.

"What?" Nal Talla said incredulously. "What are we supposed ta do in da mean time? Take a vacation?"

Val reached over and calmly put his hand on her arm. Almost immediately the Nataulan Jedi felt more at ease.

"Captain," the Chiss began, "might we inquire as to the reason?"

"All I can tell you is that the Unity has been tasked for a highly classified mission. More than that, I'm not at liberty to say," he informed them. "I am authorized, however, to allow you to stay aboard during our mission, if you so choose, but you would have to remain aboard this ship at all times during."

Nal and Val were silent a moment, thinking it over. "No, Cap'n, if da Sith were to turn up, it would do us no good to be stuck aboard your ship," Nal concluded. "However, would it be a'right if we talked to dis civilian ourselves, cap'n?" Nal asked. "Maybe he can give us some leads to check out while you are on your mission."

"Be my guest," the ship's captain said, rising from his chair. "If you need anything, Val, let my first mate know."

The two Jedi shook the officer's hand and made their way to the door. Once in the corridor, Nal spoke,"I don't tink it is a good idea for da cap'n to dis miss what dis programmer is saying. He's supposed to be very good, although I 'ave not met him."

"I agree. Let's go talk to this slicer and see what he has to say," Val said.

No comments:

Post a Comment