May 05, 2009

406. Hoth: King's Lair - Raezyr

"Your laser swords and fancy magic tricks don't scare me, kid," Dengar said. He placed Raezyr's head in his sights, although at five meters, it was more for affect than necessity.

Trychon put his hand on Raezyr's shoulder. Now was not the time for another fight. "Look, Dengar, we didn't come here to add to the trouble you're already facing. I can assure you that we had nothing to do with the ambush. Raez just wants to make sure Di is okay, so if both of you wouldn't mind checking your egos for a bit, maybe we can find out what in which direction our aggression should be pointed."

For a moment, Trychon thought the two might still go at it, but suddenly Raezyr lowered his lightsaber. "Just take me to her, Dengar," Raezyr said with a little bit less hostility this time.

Dengar finally raised his rifle again and rested on his shoulder, his finger still on the trigger. "Fine," the Mandalorian said as stepped over to the door and punched in his override code into the lock mechanism. He took a step back as the doors slide open. "But you two go first. If I get a hint of anything funny, I'm going to burn both of you down," he said as he brought the rifle down from his shoulder and held it across his body, catching the barrel in his off hand.

Raezyr and Trychon walked quickly down the hallways of the King's Lair, followed closely by the mercenary. The entire facility was deathly quiet and absent of the hustle and bustle that normally accompanied the remote pirate headquarters. The few they did see going about their business all had some sort of kolto patch or badage, accompanied by blank faces and hollow stares.

Most of them did, anyway. Apparently it was a popular opinion that the Sith were somehow involved in the ambush that had occurred as a couple of the crew members looked upon Raezyr and Trychon with openly hostile glances.

The brothers ignored them and continued on their way. They weren't really concerned with what the crew thought of them. "You know, it's probably a good thing for you that you came back right now, anyway," Dengar said from behind them.

Trychon turned and spoke over his shoulder. "Why is that?"

"Zanz was getting ready to break into your quarters when Dek informed us of your arrival," Dengar said. The Mandalorian explained that Dianna's First Mate was confident that he would either find evidence that would point to their guilt, or failing that, find something they could sell.

Raezyr and Trychon looked at each other, wondering the same thing. Why would they need to be selling items? Clearly there was more to the problems here than just being ambushed. "Why would Zanz be looking for something sell?" Trychon wondered.

Dengar didn't answer, but pointed down the next hallway toward the medbay. When they arrived, both Kolto tanks were occupied, and all three bunks were full, as well as several cots that had been brought in.

A medical droid was making rounds, checking on the patients, as were as a couple of crew members serving as de facto nurses. Raezyr paused upon entering just long enough to locate Dianna, then rushed to her side.

She had bandages on her left shoulder and around her waist and her eyes were closed when he sat down on the edge of her bed. Her face was pale and strained. He picked up her hand and held it in both of his. "Di? Can you hear me?" he said softly.

Her eyes fluttered open, then focused on Raezyr. "Raez? Is that really you, or am I hallucinating again?" she said and smiled weakly.

It suddenly dawned on Raezyr just how badly she was injured, but why wasn't she in the tank? Kolto patches could only do so much. He turned to Trychon who was standing right next to him. "Trych, get that droid over here. She needs to be in the kolto tank," he said to the other Sith, who immediately went to get the medical droid.

"Raez, no..." Dianna began, but Raezyr interrupted.

"Shhh, quiet, now. We're going to get you in the tank. Everything's going to be alright," he reassured her.

"Raez, listen to me..." she said again, but he ignored her as the droid arrived.

"You're going to free up one of those tanks immediately, and get her in, understand?" Raezyr said standing up.

"Sir, I assure you that we are doing everything possible for the Captain. As soon as the patients in the tank are out of danger, we will..."

"No," Raezyr said, cutting the droid off, "I don't care what condition they are in right now. Pull one of them out, and get her in... now!"

"Raez, please..."

"Sir, I must protest!" the droid said, "the patients in the tank are still in much more peril..."

"Raez, no..."

"You're going to be the one in peril if you don't..."

"RAEZYR!" Dianna shouted feebly, and he turned to look at her. "I swear by all that is holy, if one of those men comes out of the tank before Emdee says it's time, you'll never set foot on Hoth again, got it? Now shut up, sit down and listen to me."

He sat back down on the edge of the bed and took her hand again. "But, Di..."

"I said, shut up, Raez. You're doing me more harm by arguing than anything else. I need you here, with me, not running around giving orders," she said, her eyes drifting closed again for a moment.

"Tell me what happened, Di. I swear I'm going to get whoever did this to you," Raezyr vowed.

Her eyes opened again. "There's nothing you can do, Raez. I told you before how badly I needed this job to succeed, and how I thought there was an insider. Well, I was right. I put a blaster bolt in his brain, but apparently not before he informed Fillis Riv-ars about the job. He ambushed us.

"The job called for us to infiltrate a heavily guarded warehouse and steal three crates. I took 25% up front, and spent most of it on equipment and vehicles we needed for the job. Everything went smoothly. We fought our way in, got the crates, and were on our way back to the landing site when we were attacked. They knew exactly where we'd be. They bottled us up in a back alley and opened fire. We called for air support from our fighters, but as they were inbound, they were ambushed by Riv-ars' own ships and by missile launchers on the ground.

"Not only did they get the crates, but I lost half my crew, Raez. Zanz and Dengar got us out of there. Those of us that that made it owe our lives to them, but we had to leave people behind." She looked over at Trychon. "I'm sorry, Trych, but Kord was among them. I know he's still alive, though. Fillis has demanded a ransom for them. He wants the King's Lair."

Trychon looked shocked. For once, he was at a loss for words, although the look of shock was quickly replaced by a smoldering anger. First Fillis had sliced one of Trychon's computers, which he felt was tantamount to rape, and now this. He was surprised at quickly the anger came, he hadn't realized he had become so fond of the kid who followed him around like a pet.

"You can't give up the Lair, this is your home," Raezyr said to Dianna.

"What choice do I have? Those people depend on me, and trust me. I can't leave them for Fillis to kill," she said. "Besides, I don't have any need for this place now. I'll never get another job. I can't pay back the money I took up front, and I can't deliver the goods. What else can I do?" Tears began to stream down her face.

Raezyr squeezed her hand gently. "I'll tell you what you can do, my love: You can unleash the Sith on that scum. I'll get your crew back. I'll get your crates back. And I'll crush Fillis Riv-ars!"

"We'll crush Fillis Riv-ars!" Trychon corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment